Get access to free informative contents and tips on English
10 Expert Tips for Improving Your TOEFL Reading Comprehension Skills
- January 8, 2023
- Posted by: Joeyboadi
- Category: ESL
Improving your TOEFL reading comprehension skills is essential if you want to score well on the test. The TOEFL reading section measures your ability to understand academic texts in English, and it requires you to read and comprehend several passages in a short period of time. To help you succeed on the TOEFL reading section, here are 10 expert tips for improving your reading comprehension skills:
- Practice, practice, practice: The best way to improve your reading comprehension skills is to read as much as possible. This includes not only academic texts, but also news articles, magazines, and books. The more you read, the more comfortable you will become with understanding different types of texts in English.
- Set a goal: Before you start reading, set a specific goal for what you want to get out of the text. This could be to identify the main idea, find supporting details, or make predictions about what will happen next. Having a clear goal will help you focus your attention and understand the text more effectively.
- Preview the text: Before you start reading, take a few minutes to preview the text. This means looking at the title, subheadings, and any illustrations or diagrams. This will give you a sense of what the text is about and help you anticipate what you will read.
- Make predictions: As you read, try to make predictions about what will happen next or what the text will be about. This will help you stay engaged and focused on the text.
- Take notes: While you read, take notes on the main ideas and any important details. This will help you retain the information and better understand the text.
- Use the context clues: If you come across a word you don’t know, try to use the context clues to figure out its meaning. This means looking at the words around it or considering the overall topic of the text.
- Skim and scan: If you’re running out of time or need to find specific information quickly, try skimming or scanning the text. Skimming means reading the text quickly to get a general idea of what it’s about. Scanning means looking for specific keywords or phrases.
- Read actively: Instead of passively reading the text, try to be an active reader. This means asking yourself questions as you read, making connections to other things you know, and summarizing the main ideas in your own words.
- Take breaks: If you’re having trouble understanding the text, take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can help you better comprehend the material.
- Seek help: If you’re struggling to understand the text, don’t be afraid to seek help. This could be from a tutor, teacher, or study group. Working with others can help you gain a new perspective on the material and improve your reading comprehension skills.
By following these expert tips, you can improve your TOEFL reading comprehension skills and increase your chances of success on the test. Remember, the key is to practice, stay focused, and seek help if you need it.
Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice at thee same time as you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a weblog site?
The account aided mee a applicable deal. I have been a little bit acquainted
of this your brodcast proviuded shiny clear idea
Herre is my web blog: Grape Stuff Store